Groups Blast MTC and ABAG "One Bay Area" Plan
Report Card Gives $274B Plan for Bay Area’s Future a “D” for Disaster
OAKLAND — The 6 Wins for Social Equity Network (6 Wins Network) — a group of more than 30 social justice, faith, public health and environmental organizations — today sharply criticized the current draft of the “One Bay Area” plan that will come before regional policymakers for a decisive vote tonight. Network members say the plan in its current form will perpetuate air pollution, sprawl and segregation.
- By 2040, low-income households will be spending 75 percent of their income on housing and transportation, leaving little money for other necessities like food and healthcare, according to MTC and ABAG’s own analysis.
- Deep cuts to transit service made in the Great Recession will be made permanent.
- 1 out of every 3 households in low-income communities of color is likely to be displaced from their neighborhood.
- Inadequate workforce housing will reduce potential job growth by more than 10 percent.
- Most wealthy cities will be taking on a reduced share of the Bay Area’s affordable housing need.
o Segregation map
o Housing distribution facts
o Why the One Bay Area Plan matters
- April 25th comment letter