LAST UPDATED February 8, 2011
Public Advocates Inc. respects and protects the privacy of our users. This policy describes how Public Advocates (“we”) collects, uses, discloses, and manages information that is either voluntarily provided to the site by users or automatically collected through cookies.
For purposes of this Privacy Statement, the Public Advocates “Site” is the website whose page is www.publicadvocates.org.
Public Advocates Inc.
131 Steuart Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
2. Data we collect and how we use it
Public Advocates collects voluntarily submitted data from users who wish to get involved with Public Advocate’s work by making a donation, attending an event, volunteering, participating in pro bono work, or applying for a job. We do not collect any personal information about you for any other purpose without your consent.
• Donations: Donations made online to us are secure. Donations are processed via Network for Good. When you make a donation online, we ask for your name, address, phone, email address, and credit card information. Network for good will use your information to process your donation(s) and to verify credit card data. We use your mailing address to send your tax-deductible receipt(s) and to keep you informed about what we are doing through our publications. Your phone number is used only to contact you if we need to verify order information. A list of Public Advocates donors may be displayed on the Site.
• Events: If you express an interest in attending an event, we ask for your name, address, phone number, and email address. This information is used to confirm attendance at an event and provide periodic updates on the event for which you registered, future events, and other Pubic Advocates news.
• Volunteering: If you are interested in volunteering with Public Advocates, we ask for your address, phone number, and email address. We use this information to confirm your interest in volunteering, to correspond regarding projects and availability, and to update you periodically with other Public Advocates news.
• Pro Bono: If you are interested in volunteering with Public Advocates, we ask for your address, phone number, and email address. We use this information to confirm your interest in pro bono work, to correspond regarding projects and availability, and to update you periodically with other Public Advocates news.
• Job Applications: we will occasionally post job opportunities on our website. In order to apply, we generally ask that you submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references. The application materials will be reviewed by a designated staff member or committee. The application is confidential and will not be shared or discussed with anyone outside of Public Advocates staff without your prior consent.
To learn more about cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
3. How we secure your information
Personal information collected through the Site is secure and is maintained in a manner consistent with current industry standards. Personal information is stored on a secure server that only select Public Advocate’s employees and contractors have access to via password. In addition, all employees are kept up-to-date with our privacy practices. Only employees who need access to personally identifiable information to perform a specific job are granted access to that information. We encrypt your personal information to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to us. However, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
4. Who we share your information with
In order to most efficiently process donations, credit card transactions are handled by established third-party banking, processing agents and distribution institutions. They receive the information needed to verify and authorize your credit card or other payment information and to process your order. Public Advocates has partnered with Network for Good to securely process your online credit card donation via the Network for Good Donor Advised Fund. Information relating to your financial transactions will not be maintained on the Public Advocates servers. Please visit the Network for Good website to familiarize yourself with the relevant terms and conditions and privacy policies.
A list of donors to Public Advocates may be displayed on the Site. The list will only include the name and organizational affiliation of the individual donor, along with the amount donated. If you would like your name removed from this list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to any third party without your consent. At this time, we do not sell, rent or lease lists of names in any circumstance. However, Public Advocates may share information to comply with legal process, to respond to requests from governmental and/or public authorities, to enforce our terms and conditions, to protect our operations, to protect your and our rights, privacy, safety or property, and to enable us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
In furtherance of its mission, Public Advocates works with coalitions of organizations and individuals collectively involved in issues related to Public Advocate’s work. At this time, Public Advocates does not share personal information with partner organizations. If Public Advocates wishes to begin sharing such information, we will only do so with your consent. At such time you may request a Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure which will identify the third parties with whom Public Advocates has shared your personal information. A Notice will be available by contacting Public Advocates at 131 Steuart Street, Suite 300 San Francisco, CA 94105, or by emailing email@example.com.
We may also provide functionality so that you can send messages about Site-related content to a friend; by using this functionality, you affirm that you are entitled to provide us with the recipient’s name and e-mail address for this purpose.
5. External Websites
The Site may contain links to external websites, such as news sites, partner groups, or other relevant organizations. We do not monitor or control the information collection or privacy policies of these sites, and are not responsible for their practices or contents.
6. Privacy Preferences
We allow you access to the data that we hold about you, and, where appropriate, you may have data erased or amended. You may do this through the “manage your preferences” option at the bottom of each electric correspondence from Public Advocates, or you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a change in your personal data. In addition, you may choose not to receive newsletters, invitations, and other similar correspondence from us by checking the appropriate box on the online or other form.
7. Children’s Privacy
We never collect or maintain information at the Site from persons we know to be under the age of 13.
8. How to stop receiving correspondence from Public Advocates
Public Advocates provides the option to unsubscribe to any email communication at the bottom of every online correspondence.
Users may also write to email@example.com and request to be removed from our mailing lists.
To opt-out of receiving print correspondence from Public Advocates, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.