Access to Quality Education
It’s not enough for our public school children to have a seat in the classroom. California’s Constitution guarantees them a quality education when they’re sitting in that seat.
School Accountability & Equitable Funding
We need to fix our broken system to assure adequate and equitable funding is spent efficiently on our schools.
- California’s New School Finance Law – Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF)
- Local Control Accountability Plans LCAPs – School districts account for their spending under LCFF by reporting it in LCAPs. These are the linchpin to delivering on the promise of education finance reform.
- Measuring success to keep schools accountable – Public Advocates is part of a statewide community of advocates who monitor and advocate around how the state, counties, and school districts will actually evaluate the progress made to fulfill the promise of LCFF.
- Campaign for Quality Education v. California – Making the case for adequate funding of schools.
- Serrano v. Priest – Background on California’s landmark school funding cases.
Every child should have a teacher who is qualified and values them as an individual.
- State Advocacy – Making sure there are fully prepared teachers for low-income students and English Language Learners
- Federal Advocacy – Promoting teacher quality and education equity at the national level.
- School Accountability Report Cards (SARC) – Monitoring school’s reporting on enrollment, learning conditions and academic performance.
- Historic Cases – (Renee v Duncan; CFJ v CCTC; AMAE v. CA)
Higher Education Access
Raising questions about access and student aid in colleges and universities as well as for-profit school regulation.
Ensuring that charter schools do not discriminate against high-need students and make good on their promises to improve quality school options for all.
Opportunities to Learn
Every child has a right to study in a school that is safe, clean and conducive to learning.
- College and Career Readiness – Making sure all students graduate high school ready to pursue their dreams.
- Williams v. California – Making the case for decent school conditions and access to qualified teachers for all California students..
- Williams Resource Page – Settlement and complaint procedures and campaigns in landmark education lawsuit .
- Educational Standards and Common Core – 2103 Guide for communities to make sure state-established educational standards and benchmarks for learning are met.